27 Jun Steps to Take After Home Flooding
Flooding due to rainfall, burst pipes or overflowing washing machines can stain and ruin your home’s carpets. If left untreated, a wet carpet may develop a moldy odor that can be hard to live with and difficult to remove.
Here are a few steps you can take to make sure water damage doesn’t get too bad.
1) Get Professional Water Extraction – When your carpets have been soaked, you have roughly 24 hours to call and get professional help. If water sits too long, it could ruin the carpet before cleaners can ever get to it. Waiting two or three days can result in significant damage to your home, particularly wooden floors that can rot and warp.
2) Remove Valuables – If you’ve got furniture or other objects that you’re afraid could be permanently damaged by standing water, move them immediately. Carpet cleaning technicians can remove most furniture when they arrive, but anything extremely valuable should be evacuated immediately.
3) Open Windows and Doors – After you’ve set up an appointment to get the water professionally extracted, open all the doors and windows (unless it’s raining) to let fresh air get in. Though a breeze won’t dry your carpet, it can keep your home from smelling like mildew.
4) Hit the Puddles – Puddles are big problem spots in carpet cleaning after a flood. If you’re anxious to get started before carpet cleaning technicians can arrive, use a mop or towel to remove or spread puddles. Attacking puddles early can keep wood flooring underneath from warping.
5) Take a Deep Breath – Relax. Carpet that’s been soaked can be salvaged. It may not seem like it when you’re squelching around your living room, but professional carpet cleaning can restore a seemingly ruined carpet almost immediately. Even sewage-soaked carpet can be cleaned and saved with professional help.
Steamer’s Carpet Care offers water extraction and carpet cleaning for the San Antonio and New Braunfels areas. Our truck is equipped with one of the most powerful vacuums in the industry, allowing our technicians to dry your soaked carpets quickly. Afterwards we treat your carpet to our nine step carpet cleaning process which disinfects dangerous areas and removes stains.
When you’re the victim of flooding, you need to call Steamer’s Carpet Care. The sooner you call, the sooner we can restore your home back to its original state and get you back to the business of living.